- 1 large chicken
- 1 kg of peeled potatoes
- 2 large onions cut in quarters
- 2 large ripe tomatoes cut in thick slices
- 1 cup of olive oil
- 1/2 cup of water
- 2-3 tbsp of melted margarine
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
Other vegetables can be added to your recipe like mushrooms, peppers and Brussels sprouts.
- Select a large enough oven tray, wash the chicken, season with salt, pepper and oregano inside and out and place in the middle of your tray.
- Cut your potatoes in quarters, season with salt, pepper and oregano and arrange them around the chicken in the tray.
- Add the onions and bay leaves in between the potatoes.
- Place the tomato slices over the potatoes.
- Add the olive oil, water and pour the melted butter over the chicken and potatoes.
- Cover with aluminum foil and place in the preheated to 350 degrees oven for 1 1/2 hours.
- Half way threw cooking, remove the tray from the oven, turn over the chicken and the potatoes so they can be cooked in the juice evenly.
- About 10 minutes before is ready remove the aluminum foil in order to get some golden brown color on the chicken and potatoes and to get rid of most of the juice left in the tray.
- Serve hot with a Greek salad and a glass of Red dry wine.