- Watermelon Feta Salad will give your senses a tingling buzz, instantly transporting you to a balmy Greek summer evening lazing away at a waterside taverna.
- The colours of the bright red melon and dazzling snow white feta, with a mix of black olives creates a beautiful contrast.
- You can smell summer in the rich juicy mouth wateringly crisp watermelon and the flavour will have your taste buds tingling.
- Greeks love salads, especially ones with different tastes and textures.
- This Greek feta salad recipe is made up of refreshingly sweet watermelon, contrasting with the salty feta cheese which makes it extremely flavoursome.
- A favourite snack of young Greek children is a chunk of watermelon, a chunk of feta and a thick slice of bread, eaten together. This is the grown up version in a salad!
- Watermelon and Feta Salad is great served as an appetizer or a side salad.
- 4 slices chilled watermelon
- 150g feta cheese, roughly broken into small cubes
- 1/4 red onion, finely sliced
- handful of mixed seeds, such as pine nuts, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds or walnuts, slightly toasted
- 10-12 black olives, optional
- mixed green salad
- Cut the rind and the white flesh from the watermelon.
- Cut into small cubes. Remove the seeds as you do this.
- Place the watermelon in a bowl and add the feta cheese, chopped onion, nuts and seeds and black olives, if using.
- Cover and chill the salad for 30 minutes in the refrigerator before serving.
- Serve on a bed of greens such as lettuce, rocket and baby spinach.
- Drizzle with a mixed dressing of olive oil, lemon juice and balsamic vinegar.