- 1 white cabbage
- 2-3 carrots
- a little olive oil
- 1 pinch of pepper
- 1 pinch of salt
- a little, white vinegar
- Cut the cabbage in half and discard the outer tough leaves and the inner core.
- Cut each half into quarters and wash under cold water.
- Place each quarter on its side and slice very thin slices with a sharp knife.
- Alternately each quarter can be sliced by using a mandolin.
- Grate the carrots using a box grater or mandolin.
- Place cabbage and carrots in a bowl and dress it with salt, pepper, oil and vinegar or lemon to taste.
- Toss well and serve.
- Olives may be used as a garnish.
- Traditionally, this salad has a tart flavour (extra vinegar or lemon juice).