In Greek: σάλτσα ντομάτας, pronounced SAHLT-sah doh-MAH-tas
This is a fabulous sauce to serve with pasta, rice, or potatoes. Make large quantities, allow to cool, stir well to mix oil (oil rises to the top), and freeze to use later. Add variety with vegetables of your choice such as zucchini and artichokes.
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 2 1/4 pounds of ripe tomatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 1 large clove of garlic
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 1 sweet red pepper, diced
- 1/4 pound of chopped mushrooms (or one 4-ounce can, drained) – optional
- 3/4 cup of olive oil
- 1 cup of water
- 1 tablespoon of sea salt
- 1 tablespoon of Greek oregano (rigani)
- 1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
Purée or chop together (for a chunkier sauce) tomatoes, onion, and garlic.
Combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. When the boil starts, reduce heat and cook for 40 minutes, partially covered. Stir occasionally.
Turn off heat and let the sauce sit on the stovetop for 5-10 minutes.
Yield: approximately 3 1/2 cups, about 4 servings
Serving suggestion: Top sauce with grated myzithra cheese for an authentic Greek taste.