A rich and moist chocolate cake recipe that tastes indulgent but still complies with the dietary restrictions of the Lenten season.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: Approximately 24 pieces
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 6 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp. white vinegar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cup cold water
- 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Confectioner’s sugar for dusting
- Sift the flour, baking soda, cocoa powder, and salt into a mixing bowl and mix using a whisk.
- In a separate bowl, combine the sugar, vinegar, vanilla extract, vegetable oil, and water. Whisk together until the sugar is dissolved and the wet ingredients are combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until incorporated and a smooth batter forms. Mix in the chopped nuts if using.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly oil a 9 x 13 baking pan or spray with cooking spray to prevent sticking. Pour the batter and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for approximately 45 minutes or until a tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Note: This recipe can also be used to make cupcakes. It will yield approximately two-dozen regular cupcakes or 48 mini cupcakes. For cupcakes, reduce the baking time to 20 minutes.
- When the cake has cooled, serve with a dusting of confectioner’s sugar and enjoy.