In Greek: λάχανο κατσαρόλας, say: LAH-hah-no kat-sah-ROHL-lahs
The word katsarolas means cooked in a pot, and for this dish of Stewed Cabbage with Mint, a soup or stew pot or a dutch oven works well. The interesting taste combination is a delight as a side dish or meatless main dish.
The recipe serves 4.
Cook Time: 55 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped or sliced
- 1 cup of olive oil
- 2 1/4 pounds (about 1 kilo) of cabbage, outer leaves removed, cut in medium chunks
- 2 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of finely chopped fresh mint
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground pepper
- 2 whole cloves
Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil until translucent. Add cabbage and stir for about 5 minutes. Add all remaining ingredients (tomato, mint, salt, pepper, cloves) and enough water to cover by about 1/2 inch. Bring to a boil, cover the pot, reduce heat and simmer (slow boil) for 45 minutes.
Yield: 4 servings of Greek Stewed Cabbage with Mint.