FASOLATHA ME BARBOUNIA KAI KAFKALITHRES
- 1⁄2 pound dried cranberry or borlotti beans,picked over and rinsed
- 2⁄3 to 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil, to taste
- 2 medium red onions, finely chopped
- 2 cups fresh chervil, coarsely chopped
- 4 plum or other small tomatoes, peeled, seeded,and coarsely chopped (canned are fine)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Fresh lemon juice to taste
Makes 6 to 8 servings
1. Soak the beans overnight in ample water. Drain and discard the water. Place the beans in a clean pot with enough cold water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil and drain again, discarding the water. Set the beans aside and wipe the pot dry.
2. Heat 1/3 cup of the olive oil in the same pot and cook the onions, stirring, over medium heat until wilted, about 7 minutes. Add the beans and enough water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, 35 to 40 minutes, or until the beans are about half cooked. Add the chervil and tomatoes, season with salt and pepper, and simmer, partially covered, until the beans are tender, another 30 to 40 minutes or longer if necessary, adding more water to keep the mixture liquid. Just before removing from the heat, add the remaining 1/3 cup olive oil or more, as desired, and adjust the seasoning with salt, pepper, and lemon juice.