In Greek: κρύα παντζαρόσουπα, pronounced KREE-yah pahnd-zah-ROH-soo-pah
This recipe has its origins in Eastern Europe, and combines beets, vegetables, herbs, and a touch of yogurt to make a delightful appetizer or main dish soup. Using pre-cooked canned or packaged beets makes this a quick and easy dish.This thick soup is a favorite light meal on warm days, and a delightful appetizer soup at any time. For a quick and easy soup, use pre-cooked canned or packaged beets. It can also be served with sour cream, but here in Greece, we use thick yogurt. The result is a fabulous raspberry-colored soup.
- 1 1/2 pounds of beets, boiled, chopped
- 1 small cucumber, peeled, chopped
- 4 tablespoons of capers
- 2 small pickles (gerkins or other)
- 1 tablespoon of finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup of orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of pepper
- Greek yogurt (or sour cream)
- Purée all ingredients except the yogurt (or sour cream) and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- To serve, stir 1 tablespoon of yogurt (or sour cream) into each bowl, or 1 teaspoon into each cup of soup.
Yield: 6 bowls