- 1 small chicken (1kg)
- 500g hulled barley or wheat (bulgur)
- 50g fresh butter (optional)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 stalks celery, with leaves, chopped
- salt and pepper
- Place the chicken and vegetables in a pot with enough water to cover.
- Add salt and pepper and cook over medium heat until chicken falls off the bones, about 1 hour.
- Remove the meat and cool.
- Return the bones to the stock, simmer another 15-20 minutes, cool and strain.
- Meanwhile chop the chicken and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter and saute the bulgur.
- Slowly add the hot stock, stir, and simmer, covered, over very low heat foe 2 hours, occasionally stirring until the bulgur cracks.
- About 20 minutes before the end, stir in the chopped chicken.
- Pour some melted butter on top and serve.