Assaturam: Assam a furno simplicent salis plurimo conspersam cum melle inferes.
Roasted Meat: The meat is roasted plain in the oven, sprinkled generously with salt. Serve with honey. [Giacosa, p. 88]
- 2-3 pounds beef roast
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 cup honey, divided
- Heat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Sprinkle the roast with salt, making sure to get all sides.
- Place in roasting pan and put in oven.
- Turn heat down to 325 degrees F.
- Cook for 1 1/2 – 2 hours or until done.
- One hour into cooking time, drizzle 1/4 cup of honey over the roast and return to oven.
- Serve with remaining honey on the side for dipping.
Number of Servings:
As it worked out, the beef got a little more thoroughly cooked than I had intended. However, once it was sliced and thrown back into the cooking juices for a little while, it soaked up the honey flavor even better and was very moist and tender.