- 2 cups of lentil
- 1 cup of rice
- 1 1/2 cup of onions thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup of olive oil
- 6 cups of water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash lentil with plenty of running water.
- Place the lentil and water in a pot with some salt and cook for about 15 minutes.
- In the meantime wash rice under plenty of running water.
- Add the rice and cook for another 15 minutes on low heat, until the water is absorbed.
- Remove the pot off the heat and cover the pot with a kitchen towel.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the sliced onions until they are light brown.
- Empty the content of the frying pan (oil and onions) over the pilaf in the pot.
- In some areas of the country some people with the onions they also fry about a cup of bread cut in small cubs.
- Moujendra (Lentil & Rice Pilaf) is ready to be served.
- Place some pilaf with the crisp onions covering it and some fried bread (if any), garnish with slices of tomatoes and cucumbers and black olives and serve.
- Moujendra (Lentil & Rice Pilaf) is made at any time but usually is made during fasting days.