- 1 cup of chopped walnuts
- 2 cups of flour
- 2 cups of sugar
- 1 cup of orange juice ~ 1 cup of corn oil
- 4 tsp of baking powder
- 1/2 tsp of cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp of glove powder
- 7 eggs
Ingredients for Syrup:
- 2 1/2 cups of water
- 2 1/2 cups of sugar
- 1 lemon cut in four
- 1 cinnamom stick
- In a medium and a large bowl break the eggs and separate the yolks (large bowl) from the whites (medium bowl).
- Beat the whites until it becomes thick.
- Beat the yolks well and slowly start adding the sugar, oil and orange juice.
- As you are adding the ingredients keep stirring until the sugar is completely melted.
- Add the beaten whites and mix lightly.
- In another bowl mix all the dry ingredients. (Flour, cinnamon, glove, baking powder and walnuts)
- When all dry ingredients are mixed, slowly start adding the mixed liquid ingredients and stir until flour is well mixed.
- Lightly oil and flour a pan, 9 to 13 inches in diameter and pour the mix in it.
- Place in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for an hour.
- Do not open the oven for at least 40 minutes.
- If the oven is opened before is cooked, your cake will go flat.
- After 40 to 45 minutes you can open the oven and stick a knife in your cake to see if your cake is cooked all the way threw.
- Pouring the syrup over the walnut cake you have two choices.
- 1: You can let the cake cool down and pour the hot syrup on it or,
- 2: You can cool down the syrup and as soon as you take the cake out of the oven you pour it on.
- Both methods are sufficient enough for a successful walnut cake.
- Prepare your syrup according to the method you choose to use.
- Place all your syrup ingredients in a pot, bring to boil, stir until the sugar is dissolved and let them boil for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the 4 lemon pieces before you pour the syrup over the cake.