Pastelli se fylla nerantzias
- 2 cups coarsely ground walnuts
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs or finely crushed rusks
- 1 cup premium quality Greek honey
- 1/2 cup sugar
- orange flower or rose water
- sesame seeds, toasted
- Seville orange leaves
- Combine the walnuts with the breadcrumbs.
- Prepare a slab of marble (or a rectangular pan 25×30 cm) by sprinkling with orange or rose water and a thin ever layer of seasame seeds.
- Bring the honey and sugar to a boil in a heavy-bottomed pan on medium heat.
- Cook until the syrup for about 10 minutes or until it has reached the hard-ball stage (135*C) on a candy thermometer.
- A bit of syrup cool in water will form a stiff elastic “ball”.
- Immediately stir the walnut mixture into the syrup with a wooden spoon and quickly turn out onto the prepared marble or pan.
- Wet your hands with blosson water and pat the mixture into a rectangle about 1-1,5 cm thick (width of index finger).
- Smooth out the surface and sprinkle with lots of sesame seeds, pressing them into the brittle.
- Set the pastelli aside for 1-2 hours.
- When cool, use a sharp knife to cut into diamond shaped pieces.
- Serve on Seville (bitter) orange leaves.
(yield: 24 pieces)