- 1/4 lb sweet butter and 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 eggs separated
- 1 1/2 cups flour (all purpose flour or cake flour)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 6 to 8 ounces of coconut
For the syrup:
- 3 cups sugar
- 4 1/2 cups water
- some lemon juice
- Bring ingredients to boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add lemon when it starts to boil
- Cream butter and shortening with the sugar.
- Add egg yolks and beat well.
- Add sifted dry ingredients alternately with milk.
- Add coconut and vanilla.
- Beat egg whites until stiff and fold into mixture.
- Pour into 9 inch by 13 inch buttered baking pan and bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes.
- When done cut in pieces and pour hot syrup over warm cake.