- 2 cups of pourgouri (Bulgur)
- 5-6 cups of chicken broth
- 1 cup of finely chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup of corn oil
- 2 medium size onions finely chopped
- 3/4 cup of vermicelli noodles
- Salt and pepper to taste
The ingredients given are to serve 5-6 people.
- Place the pourgouri (bulgur) in a strainer and wash well under running water.
- Prepare your chicken broth in a sauce pan and bring to boil.
- Heat up the oil in a deep non stick or thick stainless steel pan and sauté the finely chopped onions until they are translucent.
- In the meantime with another strainer, dip the vermicelli noodles into the chicken broth to soften and add it in the pan with the onions and fry gently.
- Add the chicken broth and bulgur in the pan with the onion and vermicelli noodles and bring to boil.
- Add the tomatoes, salt and pepper and stir.
- When it starts to boil, reduce the heat, cover the pan and simmer for about 20-25 minutes or until the broth is absorbed.
- Remove from the heat, uncover, place a thick kitchen towel over the pan and place the pan cover back on.
- Let it sit covered for about 10 minutes to absorb the steam.
- Place in a platter and serve hot.
- Pourgouri can be served as the Main Dish accompanied by Plain Yogurt, Fish, Kalamata Olives, Fetta Cheese, Vegetables or anything else you desire.
- Pourgouri Pilafi can also be served as a Side Dish.