- It is best to use very large black olives for this recipe.
- 3-4 kg of olives, soaked in water which you change twice a day for 4-5 days.
- Make a mixture of brine with lime (the Cypriots call this Asvesti) as follows.
- Mix salt in water using egg test i.e. put egg in brine – once it floats on top there is enough salt
- Add 1 tablespoon of lime (asvesti)
- Leave the olives to soak in brine for 24-48 hours.
- Take out of brine, wash well, put in a jar and fill to the top with vinegar.
- Leave to soak for another 24-48 hours.
- Remove vinegar and replace with olive oil.
- For best results leave for at least 40 days before eating.