- 400 or 500g packet Kateifi pastry
- 150 – 200g coarsely ground almonds
- 4 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon and cloves mixed together
- 1 glass vegetable oil or cup melted spry or butter. Butter was traditionally used but people with high cholesterol are better to have spry or oil
- Divide Kateifi into two equal parts. It may be necessary to rub the pastry together loosen it
- Grease a medium backing tin.
- Put half the Kateifi in the bottom of the tin.
- Mix the almonds, sugar and spices together and sprinkle on top of Kateifi
- Cover with the remainder of the Kateifi
- Spoon the oil or butter on top of the Kateifi mixture and sprinkle with water.
- Bake is a medium oven fro approximately half an hour or until golden brown
- In a largish saucepan, put 3 cups of water and 4 cups of sugar. Put on to heat, when boiled for about 5-7 minutes or until syrup begins to form put 1 cinnamon stick and lemon or orange peel. Leave to boil until syrup forms. Add rose water to syrup a few minutes before you take it off the heat. Remember, either cake or syrup must be cold when combining.
- Cover with napkin till cool then cut into required shapes.