al-Baghdadi p. 206/12
Take spinach, cut off the lower roots, and wash: then boil lightly in salt and water, and dry. Refine sesame oil, drop in the spinach, and stir until fragrant. Chop up a little garlic, and add. Sprinkle with fine-ground cumin, dry coriander, and cinnamon: then remove.
- 1 lb spinach
- 1 T sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 t cumin
- 1/8 t coriander
- 1/2 t cinnamon
- Boil spinach in salted water about 2 minutes.
- We used frozen spinach.
- Be sure that the sesame oil that you use is the Arabic variety.
- It’s made from untoasted sesame seeds, and is nearly flavorless.
- It’s also pretty pricey – about $12 a quart.
- Do not substitute Chinese sesame oil; the flavor is very different.