Many Greek recipes call for blanched almonds, raw almonds with the skin removed. Blanching almonds isn’t difficult and doesn’t take very long.
Time Required: About 20 minutes start to finish for 1/2 pound of almonds
- Bring a saucepan of water to a boil and remove from heat.
- Add raw shelled almonds and let sit for 1 minute.
- Drain almonds and run under cold water for several seconds to cool enough to handle.
- Holding the almond between thumb and forefinger, squeeze to slide skin off.
- Drain on paper towels.
- If the almonds stay in the water too long, they will get soggy.
What You Need
- Raw shelled almonds
- Strainer or colander
- Paper towels