For ash tree mushrooms: Pepper, caroenum, vinegar, and oil. [Giacosa, p. 45].
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, mixed (e.g., white and Portobello)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 cups white wine
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Boil the white wine in a saucepan for half an hour, or until liquid is reduced by approximately half.
- Meanwhile, wash, trim and slice mushrooms.
- Mix pepper, reduced wine, vinegar, and oil and pour over mushrooms.
- Allow to marinate for at least an hour before serving, and preferably overnight.
Number of Servings:
- The original recipe does not specify whether the mushrooms should be cooked or not.
- For this version, it is interpreted it as marinated mushrooms.
- We have also used the recipe for parboiled mushrooms (which reduces the time needed for marinating), but an equally valid case could be made for sauteeing or simmering the mushrooms in this sauce.