Karidopita (kah-ree-THOH-pee-tah) is a traditional Greek cake made from ground walnuts and spices that is usually finished with sweet syrup.
You won’t miss the syrup in this moist and rich chocolate version. Finish it off with a bit of chocolate sauce or a dollop of whipped cream and enjoy.
Prep Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 3 hours, 30 minutes
Yield: 6 -8 servings
- 8 oz. unsalted butter, (2 sticks) at room temperature
- 8 oz. confectioner’s sugar
- 5 eggs
- 2 oz. rum
- 8 oz. walnuts, ground in a blender or food processor
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 4 oz. semi-sweet chocolate, melted
- Using a mixer, beat the butter with the sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one by one to the butter and mix well. Stir in the rum.
- Combine the flour with the ground walnuts and cinnamon in a separate bowl. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix well. Finally, stir in the melted chocolate.
- Cover and chill the batter in the refrigerator for at least two hours.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour an 8 inch (22 cm) round cake pan. Spoon the chilled batter into the pan and level the top with a spatula.
- Bake in a preheated 325 degree oven for one hour or until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out dry.