- 500 grams of fresh okra
- 2 tbsps of red wine vinegar
- 1/2 a cup of olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 500 grams of fresh pureed tomatoes or a can of pureed tomatoes
- a handful of chopped, fresh, flat leaf parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash the okra and proceed to trim the pointy ends off.
- Sprinkle with red wine vinegar and let them stand for one hour in a bowl. (once the hour has passed rinse them in cold water and drain)
- Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed sauce pan and saute the onion over a low heat until it softens.
- Add the okra and toss in the olive oil/onion mixture for about 5 mins.
- Add the tomatoes, parsley and season to taste.
- Bring the mixture to a boil on med/high heat and then allow to simmer for approximately 20-30 mins on a low/med heat.
- Once the okra is tender serve immediately with crusty bread.