Ingredients for the dough:
- 3 cups of flour
- 1 cup of water (room temperature)
- 1/3 cup of corn oil
- 1/2 a tsp of salt
- 1 egg yolk
Ingredients for filling:
- 2 cups of strained Ricotta cheese
- 1/2 a cup of white sugar
- 2 tbsp of cold milk
- 1 tsp of powder cinnamon
- 1 egg white
- 2 tbsp of icing sugar
- In a bowl mix the flour with the salt, add the corn oil and make sure it mixes well with the flour.
- Add the egg yolk and a little at a time add the water and knead into thick dough.
- Place dough into a clean bowl and cover with a kitchen towel for about an hour.
- While waiting for the dough, mix all the ingredients for the filling and beat into a smooth thick cream.
- After having the dough sitting and covered for an hour, uncover and knead for a few minutes and cut in small manageable pieces for rolling into a thin fillo.
- With something round like a cup, cut the rolled out fillo into round pieces.
- In each piece place in the center 1 tsp of filling, brush the edges with water and fold.
- With a fork press the edges to seal.
- After doing all your Bourekia by using all your dough and filling, heat some oil in a frying pan and fry them all on both sides until golden brown.
- From the frying pan to a kitchen paper towel to drain the excess oil.
- Place the fried Bourekia in a platter, sprinkle with icing sugar and serve.
- Bourekia are served hot. They can also be eaten cold.