- 1 kilo of lamb cut in small pieces
- 1 kilo of small round potatoes
- 5-6 small onions peeled
- 3-4 ripped tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 a cup of white dry wine
- 1 cup of hot water
- 1/2 a cup of olive oil
- 2 tbsp of flour
- 2 tbsp of tomato paste
- 2 tbsp of chopped parsley
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3-4 cloves
- 2-3 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
The ingredients are for 5-6 servings. Adjust accordingly.
- Peel wash and pierce the potatoes with a knife. If they are big, cut in half.
- Wash the meat and sprinkle with flour.
- Heat up the oil and fry the potatoes lightly and remove from the pot.
- Fry the onions lightly and remove from the pot.
- Fry the meat from all sites till it gets brownish.
- Put the onions back in the pot with the meat.
- Add the wine and when it starts boiling add the chopped tomatoes, bay leaves, parsley, tomato paste dissolved in a cup of hot water, salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat up and when it starts boiling, add hot water to cover the meat.
- Covet the pot and cook on low heat for 45 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, stir to mix with the meat and cook for about 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked.
- Arni Kokinisto is served hot with its sauce.
- It can be accompanied with fresh vegetables, fresh bread for dipping in the sauce and a bottle of nice wine.