(A Collection of Medieval and Renaissance Cookbooks, Vol. 2, pg. Misc-3. It is one of the three recipes translated from Kitab al-Tabikh (The Book of Dishes): Oriental 5000 (British Library) pp.70b, 71a, 74b.)
White sals. Walnut meats, garlic, pepper, cinnamon, white mustard, Tahini and lemon juice.
- 1 c. walnuts
- 2 (or 1 very large) cloves garlic
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper — ground
- ½ tsp. cinnamon — ground
- 1/8 tsp. ground mustard
- 3 Tbsp. tahini
- 2-3 Tbsp. lemon juice
- In a food processor combine walnuts and garlic until they form a smooth paste.
- Add spices and the tahini.
- Process until the mixture is uniform.
- Add lemon juice until mixture forms a thick paste.
This got really thick upon resting in the fridge for a couple of days.