Introducing babies to meat dishes starts with puréed combinations of very lean meats and simple easy-to-digest vegetables. This veal dish is is suitable for babies from 6 months of age and up.
- 1/4 pound of lean veal, cut in very small pieces
- 4 cups of water
- 1 medium-small potato, peeled, cut in half
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and trimmed, sliced
- 1 small zucchini
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 drops of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2-3 tablespoons (or more) of baby rice cereal
Before getting started: Make sure all the meat and vegetables are thoroughly rinsed and clean, and that all fat has been trimmed from the meat.
Boil the veal in 4 cups of water for 30 minutes. Add potato, carrots, and zucchini and continue to boil for another 30 minutes.
Transfer the entire mix (with liquids) to blender. Add olive oil and lemon juice and purée.
Allow to cool until lukewarm and stir in rice cereal until thoroughly blended before serving.
Note: Adjust amount of rice cereal depending on how thick or thin you want. Thinner mixtures are good for younger babies, while older ones may like a thicker dish.