Makes one 18-inch round loaf
- 8 to 10 cups all-purpose flour, as needed
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 8 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup warm water
- 1⁄3 cup ouzo
- Sesame seeds or slivered blanched almonds for garnish
1. Combine 8 cups of the flour, the sugar, baking powder, and baking soda in a large bowl or basin. Make a well in the center and add the eggs, 1⁄2 cup of the olive oil, the water, and the ouzo. Stir with a wooden spoon to combine. Start kneading, adding more flour if necessary, until a smooth, firm dough forms. Knead for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the dough is silky. Form into a ball, and let the dough rest in the bowl, covered, for a half hour.
2. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly oil an 18- by 3-inch round baking pan with the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Roll the dough out to the circumference of the pan on a lightly floured work surface. The dough shouldn’t be more than about 1 inch thick. Fit it into the pan. Using the backs of 2 spoons, or simply your fingers, pinch the surface of the bogatsa decoratively. Sprinkle with sesame seeds or almonds and bake until golden, 45 to 50 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool on a rack.