- 500 grams of small yellow split peas
- 1 medium onion cut in quarters
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 125 ml extra virgin olive oil, preferably Greek
- 1 cup of finely chopped parsley
- Lemon juice of one lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and rinse the split peas under running cold water.
- Place into a large saucepan and cover with double the amount of fresh cold water.
- Bring slowly to the boil, removing any impurities and foam that occur.
- Add the onion quarters, a pinch of salt and half of the olive oil.
- Simmer on a low heat for 40-60 minutes, (stir occasionally), until the peas have softened and become mushy.
- Push the peas through a fine sieve or purée them with a blender.
- Add the rest of the olive oil, lemon juice, minced onion, chopped parsley and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stir, place in a serving dish, garnish with some chopped onions, a few drops of olive oil and serve.
- Fava (Split Pea Purée) can be served cold or hot.
- Fava Sandorinia (Split Pea Purée Sandorinis) is great as a small meal with some crusty bread, as a side dish or as a Greek appetizing dip for vegetables.