Σαλιγκαρια με Πλιγουρι
Ingredients for 4 portions:
- 25-30 snails
- 2 onions
- 1 big ripped tomato grated
- 1 cup of olive oil
- 1 cup of crushed wheat
- 3 cups of water
- 2 tsp of salt
- 1/2 tsp red pepper
- Place the snails in a big baking pan and “feed” them for 2 days with flour in order that they clean themselves.
- After the two days of feeding them with flour wash them very well with abundant water.
- After washing them well put them in a saucepan with cold water and boil them for about 15 minutes.
- This water we throw away, we rinse them, add fresh water in the saucepan and boil them again for an additional 15 minutes.
- This water we strain and keep 1 cup.
- Clean and finely chop the onions.
- Wash the tomato and grate it.
- In a clean saucepan heat up the olive oil and sauté the chopped onions along with the snails for about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato, salt and pepper.
- As soon as the sauce thickens, add the water that we have kept from boiling the snails for a second time to heat up a little bit and add the crushed wheat and the remainder water.
- The crushed wheat will need roughly 30 minutes on low heat in order to inflate.
- After withdrawing the food from the heat, cover the saucepan with a kitchen towel to absorb the excess steam.
- Let it sit covered for about 10 minutes to absorb the steam.
- Place in a platter and serve hot.
- Σαλιγκαρια με Πλιγουρι (Snails with Crushed Wheat Pilaf) can be served as the main dish accompanied with Plain Yogurt, Kalamata Olives, Fetta Cheese, Vegetables or anything else you desire.
- Σαλιγκαρια με Πλιγουρι (Snails with Crushed Wheat Pilaf) can also be served as a side dish.