In Greek: γαρίδες σαλάτα με πεπόνι, pronounced ghah-REE-thes sah-LAH-tah me peh-POH-nee
This is an easy way to bring color to your summer table. This refreshing salad combines the tastes of boiled shrimp with grapes and honeydew melon, with a light mint dressing. This is a fabulous choice as a main dish, side salad, or salad course.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 pound of chilled boiled shrimp, shelled and deveined, rinsed and drained
- 2/3 pounds of grapes (red or green, with or without seeds)
- 1 honeydew (or canary) melon, cut into bite-sized cubes
- For the Dressing:
- 6-7 grapes (seeded or seedless)
- 8 tablespoons of olive oil
- 4 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of prepared mustard
- 2 tablespoons of finely chopped mint
- a few leaves of decorative lettuce (endive, romaine, etc.), washed and drained
Make the dressing: In the blender or processor, combine all dressing ingredients and pulse to combine. The mixture will be thick.
- If you don’t use a blender or processor, peel the grapes and crush the pulp. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with the grape pulp and whisk or stir briskly with a fork to combine into a thick dressing.
Make the salad: Cut the grapes in half. If they have seeds, remove. In a large bowl, combine grape halves, honeydew, and boiled shrimp.
Pour dressing over the top and toss to coat well.
Place decorative lettuce leaves around the edges of a serving plate or tray, place salad on top and serve.
Yield: serves 4-5 as a main dish, 7-8 as a side salad or salad course.