BAKALIARO ME LAHANIKA KAI HORTA
- 1 piece salt cod fillet, about 2 pounds
- 1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch scallions, white and tender green parts,chopped
- 1 medium leek, white part only, washed well and chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste, diluted with
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 pounds mixed greens (spinach, chard, wild
- celery, wild fennel, dill, parsley), trimmed,coarsely chopped, and washed well
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour mixed with
- 3 tablespoons water
- Freshly ground black pepper and salt to taste
1. Rehydrate the salt cod as on page 463 and cut into 2-inch squares.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the scallions, leek, carrot, and pepper, cover the pot, reduce the heat to very low, and cook until tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
3. Add the diluted tomato paste and stir together with the wilted vegetables for a minute. Add the greens to the pot and stir with a wooden spoon. Keep the cover askew and cook over low heat until the greens are wilted and tender about 10 minutes. Add the cod to the pot, tossing it gently with the greens and vegetables, and cook, with the cover askew, over medium-low heat until the cod is fork-tender and the greens extremely soft, about 15 minutes. Add the flour slurry to the pot, stirring well but gently to combine with the cod, greens, and vegetables. Simmer until the pot juices thicken, another 5 to 8 minutes. Season with pepper and salt if necessary (it may be salty enough from the cod) and serve hot.
Makes 4 to 6 servings