BAKALIARO ME ZARZAVATIKA
- 1 piece salt cod fillet, about 21⁄2 pounds
- 1 cup all-purpose flour for dredging
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Olive oil for frying plus 3 tablespoons
- 1 pound large green bell peppers, seeded and cut into 1⁄4-inch-wide strips
- 1 pound long, thin eggplant, cut into 1⁄2-inch cubes
- 21⁄2 pounds tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- Pinch of sugar (optional)
Makes 4 to 6 servings
1. Rehydrate the salt cod as on page 463 and cut into 2-inch squares.
2. Season the flour with salt and pepper and dredge the salt cod pieces in it, tapping off any excess. Heat V2 inch of olive oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil is very hot, fry the cod, in batches if necessary, until golden, about 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
3. In a large clean skillet, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat and cook the peppers and eggplant together, stirring, until soft, about 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes, season with salt and pepper, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Taste the vegetable mixture; if the eggplant is a little bitter, add the sugar.
4. Place the fried cod on top of the vegetables, shaking the skillet a little so that the fish and vegetables combine slightly. Simmer the fish and vegetables together for about 5 minutes so that the flavors meld. Remove from the heat and serve hot.