- 1 piece salt cod fillet, about 2 pounds
- 1⁄2 to 2⁄3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, to taste
- 11⁄2 pounds red onions, chopped
- 2 to 3 garlic gloves, to taste, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste, diluted with 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup dark raisins
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 10 to 15 whole cloves, to taste
- 10 allspice berries
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Makes 4 to 6 servings
1. Rehydrate the salt cod as on page 463 and cut into 2-inch squares.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large casserole or Dutch oven over medium heat and cook the onions, stirring, until wilted, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and stir for a minute. Add the diluted tomato paste, raisins, and spices. Add enough water to cover the onions. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer the onions, covered, for 15 to 20 minutes, until very tender. Place the fish on top, cover, and simmer until the cod is fork-tender, another 15 to 20 minutes. Serve immediately.