In Greek: ρύζι με ξηρούς καρπούς, pronounced REE-zee meh ksee-ROOS kar-POOS
This recipe for rice with almonds and chestnuts is easy to make, and a seasonal favorite in autumn and winter. For best results, use converted (parboiled) long grain rice with this recipe.
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 tablespoon of margarine or butter
- 4-5 chestnuts, coarsely chopped *
- 1/2 cup of blanched almond halves
- 2 cups of converted long grain rice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground pepper
- 4 1/2 cups of water
Melt the margarine (or butter) in a pot over medium-high heat and sauté the chestnuts and almonds with the rice until the nuts start to brown nicely. Add salt, pepper, and the water, bring to a boil and cook for 12-15 minutes until the liquid is absorbed.