- 1 1/2 kilo snails
- 1 large bunch fennel
- 4 potatoes, quartered
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 ripe tomatoes, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons red wine
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the snails in a deep bowl filled with tepid water and cover with a dish.
- Allow them to stand for 30 minutes.
- When the snails begin to move, remove the thick membrane covering their orifice with a knife and scrub any other waste from their shell (if a snail has not come off its shell, it is probably not alive).
- Rinse meticulously under plenty of tap water and let them boil in some saltwater for 5 minutes.
- Take them out with a ladle, put them into a colander and pour off any excess liquid.
- Saute the onion with the olive oil in a saucepan, add the fennel, stir and extinguish with wine.
- Add 1 cup of water and let food simmer for about 25 minutes.
- Then add the potatoes, snails, tomatoes, salt and pepper.
- Continue boiling for 30 minutes over moderate heat.
- Serve slightly warm or at room temperature.