- 2 bunches of fresh spinach
- 1 cup of rise of choice
- 1/2 a cup of parsley finely chopped
- 3-4 spring onions finely chopped
- 1/4 cup of lemon juice
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
The ingredients given are to serve 5-6 people.
- Place the rise in a strainer and wash well under running water.
- Clean the spinach, wash it well and shred it roughly.
- Place some water in a pan and boil the spinach for a few minutes.
- Strain spinach.
- Heat up the oil in a deep non stick or thick stainless steel pan and sauté the finely chopped onions until they are translucent.
- Add the rice, stir for a few minutes, add the parsley, stir and add the lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the strained spinach, 2 1/2 cups of water and mix with the rice.
- Lower the heat, cover the pot and cook for about 15-20 minutes.
- Serve Spanakorizo (Pilaf with Spinach) hot or cold with lemon wedges.
- Spanakorizo can be served as a main dish or as a side dish.
- Spanakorizo can be accompanied with some Plain Yogurt, Kalamata Olives, Fetta Cheese and some Fresh Bread and a glass of Red Wine.