In Greek: πατατοσαλάτα με αυγά, pronounced pah-tah-toh-sah-LAH-tah meh ahv-GHAH
The oil and vinegar dressing for this fabulous potato salad adds just the right touch… and you’ll never miss mayonnaise! Potatoes, boiled eggs, cucumber, onions, and a healthy helping of parsley create a delicious salad – a favorite in summer, but wonderful every time of year.
- 3 1/3 pounds of potatoes, peeled, cut in large cubes
- 6 hardboiled eggs, cut in quarters or large pieces
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded, chopped
- 1/2 bunch of fresh parsley, stems removed, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon of Greek oregano (rigani)
- 1/4 cup of red wine vinegar (see note)
- 1/2 cup of extra virgin oil
Note: All red wine vinegars are not equal. Start light and add to taste.
Boil the potatoes until done (about 20 minutes). Place in a colander and season with salt. Allow to drain well.
In a large salad bowl, combine potatoes, hard-boiled eggs, seeded cucumber, onion, and parsley. Season with pepper and oregano. Add vinegar first, then olive oil. Toss well to combine.
Chill before serving.
Yield: serves 6