- 1 kilo of mussels
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1-2 clove of garlic minced
- 1 shot of ouzo
- 1/2 bunch dill finely chopped
- 1 pepper cut in small pieces
- 1 1/2 cup rice
- 3 cups water
- 6 tbsp of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 lemons cut in quarters for garnishment
The recipe serves 4-5 people.
- Clean the mussel shells on the outside with a knife and wash them well.
- Pour the oil in a large frying pan and sauté the onions.
- Add the chopped peppers, chopped dill and minced garlic.
- Add the mussels and the shot of ouzo or 1/2 a cup of white wine.
- Add 1 tbsp of tomato paste diluted in 1 cup of hot water or 4 ripped tomatoes graded.
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- We let it boil for a few minutes and we add some more hot water.
- In the meantime we wash the rice under plenty of running water.
- Always remember that the liquid should be at least 2-2 1/2 times the amount of rice.
- Add the rice to the pot and stir to mix with the rest of the ingredients.
- Lower the heat, cover and let it simmer until the rice is cooked.
- Stir occasionally to mix the rice with the mussels and the rest of the ingredients.
- Remove from the heat, remove the cover and cover with a kitchen towel for about 5 minutes.
- Serve hot.