- Cut fat meat small, put into the saucepan with a little salt, and cover with water.
- Boil and remove the scum.
- Cut up onions, wash, and throw in on top of the meat.
- Add seasonings, coriander, cumin, mastic, cinnamon, pepper and ginger, well ground.
- Take dry apricots, soak in hot water, then wash and put in a separate saucepan, and boil lightly: take out, wipe in the
- hands, and strain through a sieve.
- Take sweet almonds, grind fine, moisten with a little apricot juice and throw in. Some color with a trifle of saffron.
- Spray the saucepan with a little rose water, wipe its sides with a clean rag, and leave to settle over the fire: then remove.
- 2 lbs. lamb — cubed
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 lg. onion — finely chopped
- ¼ tsp. ground ginger
- ½ lb dried apricots
- ½ tsp. ground coriander
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- 1/3 c ground almonds
- ¼ tsp. saffron
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. rosewater
- Brown the meat, cover with water.
- Add the onions and spices; stew until the meat is tender.
- Add apricots – either puree them or add them whole as I have.
- Stir in almonds and rosewater to thicken.
I did not use mastic, as it was not available. For this feast I substituted beef for the lamb.