In Greek: λαχανικά μαρινάτα, pronounced lah-hah-nee-KAH mah-ree-NAH-tah
This dish requires at least 4 hours in the fridge before serving, so plan ahead – but preparation time is minimal. It’s a delightful selection of tastes and uses regular celery instead of wild celery, which is used in most Greek recipes.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 1/4 pound of fresh cap mushrooms, cleaned (2/3 cup of canned)
- 2 cups of cauliflower flowerets or approximately 15 flowerets
- 1 1/4 cups of diced celery
- 1 1/2 cups of chopped carrots
- 1/4 pound of pearl onions, peeled
- 1 3/4 cups of water + 1/4 cup of hot water
- 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup of dry white wine
- 1 vegetable boullion cube
- 12 peppercorns
- 12 coriander seeds
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 bunch of fresh parsley, trimmed and cleaned
In a bowl, dissolve the boullion cube in the hot water and add all other marinade ingredients.
Bring 8-10 cups of water to a boil in a medium-sized pot. Add all the vegetables and boil for 15 minutes. Drain. Put vegetables in a large bowl and pour marinade over evenly. Cover loosely and refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving.
To serve, spoon salad into one large or individual salad bowls. Discard extra marinade.
Yield: serves 4