In Greek: μακαρόνια με μανιτάρια και μπεϊκον, say: mah-kah-ROHN-yah me mah-nee-TAH-reeyah kai bacon
A delightful family meal, add a seasonal salad, bread, and a tart dish like easy marinated peppers for a delicious spread.
A great make-ahead dish, this can be prepared the day before and refrigerated until time to bake.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 1 pound of penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon of margarine
- 2/3 pounds of bacon, cut in small pieces
- 2/3 pounds (10.6 ounces) of canned sliced mushrooms or mushroom pieces and stems, drained and rinsed
- sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 14 ounces of grated yellow cheese (one or more) kasseri, gouda, edam
Cook the pasta for two minutes less than directed on the package, drain, and set aside.
Add margarine to a skillet and sauté bacon for a few minutes, then add drained mushrooms and continue to sauté for 2-3 minutes longer.
Preheat oven to 340°F (170°C).
Transfer pasta to a large bowl or pan, and toss with bacon, mushrooms, and two-thirds of the cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Transfer to a 15 3/4 X 17 3/4 inch (or equivalent) pan and spread out evenly. Sprinkle remaining cheese over the top and bake at 340°F (170°C) for about 20 minutes, until the cheese browns. Yield: serves 6-8