- 1 Kilo Lamb (on the bone)
- 3 Spring onions, roughly chopped
- 1 –2 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 900 gm Fresh Spinach
- 2 tbsp. Fresh Chopped Dill
- 1 Egg
- Salt to taste
- Juice of a Lemon
Serves 4 – 6
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based saucepan and add the lamb and spring onions. Brown for 5 minutes over a medium heat, turning frequently. Add enough cold water to just about cover the meat.Bring to the boil, turn the heat down and simmer covered for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile wash the spinach and roughly chop together with the dill. Add to the lamb with salt and black pepper to taste. Push the spinach down firmly on top of the meat, cover the saucepan and leave to simmer again for 15 minutes. Mix the spinach thoroughly into the meat, turn up the heat and bubble for 5 –10 minutes to cook the spinach and reduce the sauce.
- Beat up the egg with the lemon juice in a small bowl. Turn off the heat and leave the lamb to stand uncovered for 10 minutes.Using a soup ladle, add one ladle of lamb sauce to the lemon mix.Beat in with a fork. Repeat a second and third time. Then, if you can get help at this point, all the better. Hold the saucepan with both hands and tip the sauce to one side of the pan. Ask a friend to quickly add the lemon mix straight onto the sauce then rotate the sauce quickly round and round by moving the saucepan in a circular motion. This prevents curdling, and ensures the lemon reaches every part of the pan.
- Reheat almost to boiling, then serve with fresh bread and salad.