In Greek: κολιός στο φούρνο, pronounced kohl-YOHS stoh FOOR-no
A fabulous dinner, this recipe calls for mackerel, potatoes, tomatoes, garlic, herbs, and spices. When calculating quantities, because fish are sold by the unit, not in parts, the number of fish and potatoes should be the same.
Cook Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
- 3-4 chub mackerel (about 2 1/2 pounds), scaled and gutted
- sea salt
- 3-4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut in slices, lengthwise
- 1/2 cup of white wine
- 1/2 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 2 cups of water
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
- 5-6 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 rounded tablespoon of fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 medium tomatoes, sliced
Preheat oven to 355°F (180°C).
Lightly salt the exterior and interior stomach cavity of the fish. In a 15 1/2 X 10 inch roasting pan (or equivalent), add the potatoes and lay the fish on top. Dissolve tomato paste in the wine and pour over the top. Add olive oil, water, salt, pepper, garlic, bay leaf, rosemary, and tomatoes.
Bake at 355°F (180°C) for 1 hour 15 minutes, and serve.