- Prepare a large bowl with water and lemon juice
- Wash and peel quinces and drop into water
- Boil water in large saucepan, add quince pieces
- Bring back to boil and boil for 2-3 minutes till soft, there is a needle test you can do for this (its ready when it falls off the needle)
- Drain and place individual pieces on a dry cloth to dry
Prepare the Syrup:
- You need 1 kg of sugar to each kilo of fresh fruit (you can put a little less sugar if you wish but this is trial and error and comes with practice so to be sure just try it with 1kg sugar to 1kg of fruit for now). You need one glass of water to 1 glass of sugar but I usually use a little less water.
- Put the water and sugar in the saucepan and bring to the boil. Put the 3 glasses of water and the sugar together in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Simmer for 8 minutes or until the syrup begins to thicken.
- Take the saucepan off the heat and add the drained pieces of quince.
- Put the saucepan back on to boil and boil rapidly, when it is ready (the syrup thickens) add the lemon juice and sprigs of ‘fkiouli’ (I will be adding a photo soon). The ‘fkiouli’ is optional, boil for a little longer and remove from the heat.
- Allow to cool in the saucepan then bottle in the normal way.