Island Soup. A hearty seafood ensemble.
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1/2 cup of selery (stalks), diced fine
- 2 dozen of clams, with liquid
- 1 lb of crabmeat
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 2 lbs of haddock’s fillet, cut in 2″ pieces
- 1/2 cup of light olive oil
- 1 large, white onion, diced fine
- 1/2 cup of parsley, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 1 lb of scallops
- 1 lb of shrimps, cleaned and de-veined
- 3 cup of tomatoes (canned)
- 1 cup of dry, white wine
- In a large saucepan, saute onion, carrot, celery, and garlic in olive oil.
- Drain the tomatoes (reserving the liquid). Add the drained tomatoes, parsley, bay leaves, salt & pepper to saucepan.
- Simmer 5 minutes.
- Combine tomato and clam liquids, and add enough boiling water to make 3 cups, and set aside.
- In a deep casserole, arrange layers of haddock, clams, shrimp, crabmeat, scallops covering each layer with some of the vegetable mixture and the white wine.
- Cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add reserved tomato/clam liquid and simmer uncovered 20 minutes.
- Serve from the casserole.
- Makes about 10 servings.