Preparation and cooking time:
- Soaking overnight + 55 minutes
- Serves 4
- 175 g (6 oz) haricot or cannellini beans, picked clean
For the dressing:
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ a lemon
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and black pepper
- Black olives
- Hard-boiled eggs, peeled, and quartered lengthways
- Soak the beans overnight. Rinse them and cover with plenty of water in a pan; bring to the boil, skim and add some salt. (This will make them firm, which is desirable for this dish)
- Boil them for 10 minutes, cover and cook until soft, which will take 40-50 minutes according to their age and quality. If they are not to be eaten immediately, very slightly undercook them and let them stay in their liquid. They will go on cooking anyway.
- Drain them just before they are to be served and place in a bowl with 2-3 tablespoons of their liquid. Beat the dressing ingredients lightly, add to the beans and toss gently.
- Empty on to a flat platter and garnish with olives and eggs.