- Grilled Swordfish recipes such as kebabs are perfect for a quick, easy fish dinner.
- Swordfish is an ideal white fish to use for kebabs, as it is firm and won’t crumble easily whilst grilling. Swordfish is a very popular fish in Greece, you can find it at most fish markets.
- Oregano, fresh lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil are often used to flavour fish and as a dressing.
- 2 red onions, quartered
- 2 red or green peppers (capsicums), quartered and seeded
- 20 thick cubes of swordfish, 650-750g,
- 75ml/ 5 tblspn extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- large pinch of dried oregano
- salt and ground black pepper
- lemon wedges, to garnish
- 4 long metal skewers
- To make the marinade, put the olive oil, garlic, oregano, salt and ground pepper in a small bowl.
- Whisk and leave for later.
- Arrange the onion quarters into pieces with two or three layers.
- Cut the quartered peppers into similar sizes to the onions.
- Make the souvlakia by threading five pieces of swordfish on to each metal skewer.
- Alternate the cubes with a piece of red onion and red and green pepper to add colour and flavour to the fish.
- Repeat with each kebab.
- Lay in a dish and brush the marinade over all the sides of the fish and vegetables and leave for about an hour in a cool place for the flavours to infuse.
- Prehead an oiled grill or barbecue to hot setting and place the swordfish kebabs on the grill for cooking.
- Make sure the heat is not too close to burn them.
- Grill for about 10 minutes, turning to cook on all sides until the fish is cooked through and the onions and peppers are cooked.
- You can brush the extra marinade over the fish as you are cooking to enhance the flavours.
- Serve immediately with the lemon wedges.
- Many fishmongers will prepare and cut the fish for your swordfish recipes. If you are cutting it yourself, you will need about 5cm square cubes.