- Grilled Stuffed Squid with Feta CheeseThe flavours infuse in this stuffed squid recipe with a creamy filling of marinated feta cheese.
- Squid or Calamari as it is called in Greece, is a popular fish dish served in the summer months in Greece.
- It can be cooked in many different ways.
- Barbecuing squid helps to bring out the sweetness in the flavour of the meal.
- 4 medium squid, cleaned, total weight 900g /2lb
- 4-8 finger length slices of feta cheese
- 90ml / 6 tblspn extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 or 4 oregano sprigs, leaves removed and chopped
- salt and ground black pepper
- lemon wedges to serve
- Make sure the squid are well cleaned and rinsed, inside and out.
- If there are tentacles on the squid, remove them from the bodies and keep.
- Lay the bodies in a single layer in a shallow tray or dish.
- Place the tentacles and the slices of feta cheese around the squid, making sure everything is in a single layer.
- Make the marinade by putting the oil, garlic and oregano in a bowl and whisk together.
- Season with salt and black pepper.
- Remove one squid at a time and place 1 or 2 pieces of feta cheese and some of the oregano leaves inside the squid.
- Preheat and oil a barbecue or grill on a low to medium setting and place the feta filled squid bodies onto the grill.
- Grill the stuffed squid gently for about 6-8 minutes.
- Turn them over and grill for another couple of minutes.
- When you turn the stuffed squid over, add the tentacles to the grill and cook until they crisp slightly.
- Serve this stuffed squid dish with a Greek Salad and crusty bread.