In Greek: κοτόπουλο στα κάρβουνα, pronounced koh-TOH-poo-loh stah KAR-voo-nah
Chicken seasoned with salt, pepper, and Greek oregano is cooked over the coals and basted with latholemono (oil and lemon sauce) for a fabulous dish that can only taste better when eaten with the hands. In addition to basting with and oil-lemon sauce, serve with lemon wedges for a last minute squeeze.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 4 pounds of chicken, cut in large serving sized pieces
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 1 teaspoon of pepper
- 2 teaspoons of crushed Greek oregano (rigani)
- juice of 2 lemons
- 2/3 cup of olive oil
- 2-3 lemons, cut in wedges
- Combine lemon juice and olive oil in blender and beat at high speed for several seconds until thick and creamy. Brush meat lightly with a little of the sauce.
- In a small bowl, combine salt, pepper, and oregano. Lay chicken on a platter and sprinkle on both sides.
- Heat meat rack 4-6 inches over red hot coals for a few minutes. Spread coals evenly and cook chicken for about 10 minutes on each side. Use tongs to turn frequently, basting often with the oil-lemon mixture. Test for doneness.
- Serve with lemon wedges, and extra lemon wedges for hand cleaning.
Yield: Serves 4