3 cups uncooked lentils
12 to 15 cups hot water
1 cup vegetable oil
4 to 5 cloves garlic
1 onion, minced
2 stalks celery
2 medium carrots, minced
1 sprig rosemary
1 1/2 pounds tomatoes, peeled and strained or
1 (30 ounce) can tomatoes
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Soak the lentils overnight in cold water.
- Rinse and place in a large pot with plenty of water.
- Bring to a boil. Drain off this water and replace it with the 12 to 15 cups hot water.
- Add the remaining ingredients except the tomatoes and salt and pepper.
- Simmer for 45 minutes, then add the tomatoes and cook for about 20 minutes longer (until the lentils are soft). Season
- Serve hot.